A simple yet substantial salad – any leftovers would make a great lunch-box filler.
Chicken and Quinoa Salad
200g dried quinoa
4 cooked skinless and boneless chicken breasts, roughly shredded
4 red apples, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
4 celery sticks, thinly sliced
Small bag of baby spinach leaves
Bunch of spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and finely chopped, to serve
Small handful of fresh chives, finely chopped
Small handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
For the dressing:
200g fat-free natural fromage frais
3 tbsp fat-free vinaigrette
2 tbsp roughly chopped bottled gherkins
- Cook the quinoa according to the packet instructions, then drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, put the chicken in a large salad bowl with the apples, celery, spinach and spring onions.
- Mix all of the dressing ingredients together in a bowl and pour over the salad.
- Add the cooked quinoa and toss to mix well. Scatter over the eggs and fresh herbs to serve.
- Quinoa is a great alternative to rice or couscous.